Sunday, February 21, 2010

What is herbal medicine?

What is herbal medicine?

Herbalism is both an ancient art and a modern science. Plants provide the principal ingredients in medicines used in most medical traditions globally. According to the World Health Organisation, 80 per cent of people in the world use herbal medicine as their primary form of healthcare. In the past, our ancestors made new discoveries of the healing power of plants through trial and error.Nowadays, more scientific approaches are commonly applied to understanding the medicinal properties of plants and developing new products.

Herbal practitioners use similar diagnostic skills to orthodox physicians, but differ in that they use whole plant preparations for treatments rather than isolated constituents, whether derived from plants or synthesised. A herbal practitioner takes a holistic approach, treating the whole person rather than just symptoms. This is based on a philosophy that suppression of symptoms alone may not lead to complete health, because underlying problems are not addressed. Herbal medicine may be used not just when ailments occur, but also to maintain the general health and vitality of patients and to reduce the chances of infection. It is suited to people of all ages, from babies to the elderly.

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN HERBAL PREPARATIONS AND PHARMACEUTICAL DRUGS

Traditional herbal practitioners prescribe preparations made from whole plants or parts of plants (bark, roots, leaves, flowers, fruits, etc.). There is a commonly held view that the mixture of individual constituents within plants are “balanced” from the point of view of their medicinal properties.

Modern pharmaceutical drugs are typically based on single chemicals with “active” properties. Many drugs have been discovered through research into the physiological effects of chemicals found in plants. Some of these drugs are still derived directly from plants (e.g. digitalin from the foxglove, Digitalis), while others are now synthesised (e.g. aspirin, inspired by the medicinal properties of the bark of the willow, Salix alba). Chemicals in some plants are extracted and transformed, providing the building blocks of drugs (e.g. progesterone, synthesised from chemicals found in some species of Dioscorea, the wild yam).

There appears to be a trend in the herbal industry towards the marketing of plant preparations resembling pharmaceutical products by isolating the “active compounds”. In itself, this may not be a problem from the medical viewpoint, but it is an issue for traditional herbalists if such products are promoted as “traditional herbal remedies”. This is misleading, because traditional herbal remedies contain all the ingredients in those parts of the plants that are used. This is what makes herbal remedies unique.

The process of isolating active constituents from plants is relatively new and under-researched in comparison with the long histories lying behind many herbal preparations. It should not be concluded that, just because a particular herbal medicine seems effective and to have few or no side-effects, this will necessarily be the case for active principles isolated from it. Kava kava is an example. Herbal preparations from this species have been used for over 3,000 years in the Pacific without reports of serious adverse effects. Yet the over-use of standardised extracts of kava kava is reported to have caused six cases of liver failure and one death in mainland Europe.

WHAT TO EXPECT IN A HERBAL CONSULTATION

The first consultation will take about one hour, during which the practitioner will take a detailed case history. There will be discussions on past medical history, medications taken, diet, exercise and lifestyle. If relevant, the practitioner will undertake a physical examination to evaluate the overall balance of the body’s systems (musculo-skeletal, nervous, cardio-vascular, genito-urinary, digestive etc.).

After a consultation, the herbalist will dispense the appropriate herbs, explain their use, and arrange a further appointment for a follow-up consultation that will last about 30 minutes.

FORMS OF APPLICATION OF HERBAL MEDICINES

Herbal medicines can be taken in various forms, varying according to the ailments being treated and the particular needs of individual people.

Infusions are made from dry or fresh plant material, one teaspoon of the former being typically considered equivalent to three of the latter. Infusions can be prepared in the same way as tea, by pouring boiling water over the herbs. Infusions are left for between five and 10 minutes before being strained and drunk as instructed.

Decoctions are often made from the “harder” parts of plants such as roots, wood, bark, seeds and nuts. The difference between a decoction and an infusion is that the material is boiled for five to 15 minutes before straining. The decoction can be kept in a fridge for two days.

Juices are prepared by squeezing juices from plants, without heating. They are then bottled without preservatives and may be kept for up to two weeks under refrigeration. They are taken with water.

Tinctures are alcohol-based preparations. Tinctures provide the most common way in which herbal medicines are prescribed in the Western herbal tradition. Tinctures keep well and are convenient to take. The percentage of alcohol used varies according the types of constituents extracted.

9 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic post and I cannot recommend you guys enough Full of useful resource and great layout very easy on the eyes. Please do keep up this great work.

    Potpourri Incense || Potpourri Herbal || Herbal Incense

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your information on herbal medicine. It is something I wanted to try for a while now, but I am just now getting the information from great people like you!

    Herbal Incense

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have Herpes in your whole body such as fever blisters, hsv, or roofing shingles you know what it is like to stay with the pain and discomfort that herpes delivers. I don't need to tell you how awesome it would be to find something that works so well that you no longer need to fear about stress or outbreak,Dr Itua herbal medicine cure my herpes in two weeks of taking it.is genuine and natural herbal medicine it has no side effect, The reason I'm writing this is that I promised Dr Itua I will share his herbal work to the world to see Herpes is no more a big deal.also Dr Itua can as well cure the following diseases...HIV,Hsv 1/2,Hepatitis B,Cancer, Diabetes, Men/Woman Infertility, Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Facator V Leiden Mutation , Lottery Spell,Copd, Shingles,Fibroid, Fibromyalgia, Liver/Kidney Inflamotry, Epilepsy,Hpv,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Cold Sore, Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic Asthma. Here His Contact...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp Phone.+2348149277976. I paid for his herbal medicine and sent it to me through Courier Service which I pick it urgently and used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i want to inform the public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called Dr.EBHOTA. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor EBHOTA cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i was having no hope of been cured of HERPES so i decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on net and i saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on
    his Email: drebhotasolution@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348089535482 and get all your problem solved.
    1Sickness of any kind
    2 Help to CURE Hepatitis B, HIV/AIDs CANCER and BIPOLAR
    3 Divorce, Breakup problem and To Re-unit
    4 Pregnancy problem
    5 Financial problem and Job promotion
    6 To get a good and rich life partner
    7 To Lose your wath
    8 to enlargement of pennis
    9. CANCER
    10. ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)
    11 Hepatitis B
    12 chronic pancreatic
    13 emphysema
    14 COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)   

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for hs great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And Was Look For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguspellcaster@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you .....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everyone that is reading this testimony. I have been having herpes for 3 years but now am cured. One day when I was reading through the web, I saw a post on how this herbal dr dohgo have help a woman to cure her herpes and I contact his email address and he told me that he will help me cure my herpes but i doubted it and then he prepared me a herbal medicine and ask me to take it for 21 days which i did. I believed him and today I am glad to let you all know that this herbal Dr dohgo have the herbal medicine to cure you from herpes and any type of disease, I am now a happy man. Thanks for His great work,contact him via email: doctordohgo@gmail.com you can also whatsapp his mobile number +2347062142293. Contact Dr dohgo and get your problem solved he also have cure to other disease like...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My health was horrible before I decided to try the Protocol Of taking Dr. Okojie pure herbal mixture. I felt there was no hope for my health and I was to try the Protocol, thinking it wouldn’t work because I have visited so many hospital but same result. However, I was convinced by a Instagram friend to try the herbal medicine because I wanted to get rid of Herpes virus. The herbal mixture that was given to me was really quick and easy to take, within 2 week I was fully cured from Herpes. The herbal medicine really work and I will like to share this great doctor contact with you all email him drokojie2@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2349078751746 you won't regret it, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very happy today, I have been suffering from herpes since 2015, i have spent a lot on drugs and herbs which has all proved abortive, i have tried all means in life to cure my herpes , but there was no answer until i met Dr David and i contacted him and he prepare medicine for me after I took his medication as he told me, i am now Herpes Negative, i am very very happy, thanks to Dr David for helping my life come back newly again without any form of crisis, i promise to tell your name and good deeds to the whole world.Kindly contact him for cure regarding, HIV, Herpes, Cancer and other deadly diseases. contact him on via drdavidherberhome@gmail.com or whatsApp him on +2348103442287 or Visit his facebook page

    https://www.facebook.com/Dr-David-Herbal-Home-109272270791218/

    ReplyDelete

Lingzhi Key Effects

Lingzhi Key Effects Lingzhi is used very widely. According to the concept of Chinese medicine, Ganoderma lucidum can penetrate into and work...